One of the problems with there being so many reverb prompt lists is that it's easy to choose the prompts that are easier to answer instead of the prompts that challenge, which is kind of the whole point. So I'm choosing this prompt because I tried to start answering and then gave up and maybe that means it's full of things I actually need to examine.
What are 5 things you have done for yourself in 2011?
1. Uhh, moved across country, bitches! Moving to New York was an entirely selfish act. I knew that if I didn't do it, I would regret it and that's really all there was to it.
2. I just spent a ridiculous amount of money at IKEA so that I could have a room that would feel like home and like mine. I'm still putting it all together but I'm pretty into it.
3. Stockpiled groupon deals for massages. Good decision.
4. I just had a bunch of pictures of my family and friends back home printed to put in actual frames. Again with the making my room more mine and home-y.
5. Relearned that it's ok to say no. Kind of. I'm always relearning that one.
What are 5 things you have done for others in 2011?
1. Petsat like crazy.
2. Picked up cold medicine for a sick friend.
3. Listened and supported.
4. Tried to be a good mentor/manager/teacher at work.
5. Worked crazy hours and covered shifts at jobs where I wasn't working at the time.
What are 5 things that held you back from doing things for others?
1. Being afraid of being let down if gestures aren't returned.
2. Getting into the downward spiral of feeling guilty for not calling/writing/supporting enough and then thinking that people probably don't want to hear from me at this point anyway.
3. Working so much and being so tired.
4. All my other answers are variations on the first. Fear of letting people in, fear of seeming too eager, too familiar.
What are 5 things that you want to do for yourself in 2012?
1. Go on vacation somewhere that is not California or New York.
2. Get a massage every month.
3. Go to Bloggers in Sin City
4. Buy a museum membership. (probably AMNH)
5. Try at least one new restaurant a month.
What are 5 things you want to do for others in 2012?
1. Cook for another person (that isn't paying me to do it) twice or more a month.
2. Volunteer with Big Brother/Big Sister or CASA
3. Be better at checking in with my friends and family
4. Sponsor a Project Night Night package every month
5. Bring homemade soup to sick friends.